Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Great Expectations: The One That Changed Everything


In September of 2011 (about three months into my blogging career), I decided to create a segment called "Great Expectations," which would give me an outlet to advertise films that I was excited about, each and every month. That month, said outlet was filled with trailers for Contagion, Moneyball, and 50/50, each of which ended up being quite good, if I might say so myself. Anywho, for those of you who follow my blog regularly, you've probably read a few of those monthly posts, and you might have even enjoyed them. Even more so, I hope that you didn't enjoy them too much, because I've decided to re-vamp Great Expectations into something a bit different.

At the time of its inception, Great Expectations was really just an easy way for me to increase the number of posts that I was able to get out each month. Eventually, though, I grew to enjoy having the chance to break the typical "review-mold," which can sometimes grow tiresome on the movie blogger soul. However, at this point, I've come to realize that there are ample ways to go about writing, without focusing solely on reviews. Also, the likelihood of me being able to keep my post-count high, over the next year, is quite low, considering how much time and effort is required in graduate school.

But, fear not! Great Expectations is still going to be around!

Instead of focusing on a monthly trailer list, the segment will give me an outlet to discuss pretty much anything that I am excited about, in the near or distant future of the entertainment-world. For instance, I might do an "Oscar Edition" or a "Summer Movie Edition" or a "Star Wars Episode XXXII Edition." The possibilities are just endless!

In my reviews, I always begin with my expectations for a film, because I truly believe that nothing influences a film's success more than its ability to meet expectations. Sure, there are other elements (which is why I don't stop my reviews at expectations), but nothing is more powerful than a film that exceeds expectations. Similarly, nothing is more aggravating than film that can't deliver on your high, high hopes. I say all that to show you how important expectations can be in film, but this lesson can also be applied to life... That was my Dr. Phil line for the day!

Before I move on, I would like to thank each and every reader for taking the time to check in and see what's going on in Tanner's world. If there is ever anything that I can do for any of you, be sure to let me know!

Now, let's create some expectations!

No comments:

Post a Comment