Monday, November 24, 2014

Casting Re-Call: Horrible Bosses 2


Some films just don't need sequels, and, in my opinion, Horrible Bosses is one of those films. With one boss dead, one incarcerated, and one sufficiently black-mailed, what does one expect from a sequel revolving around the exact same characters?
 
Unfortunately, the crew behind Horrible Bosses 2 could care less, because people (including me) will be sure to watch the film, regardless of its necessity. I mean, Horrible Bosses was the funniest film of 2011, but that doesn't automatically result in Horrible Bosses 2 having a similar fate.

So, in the interest of creating more interest in Horrible Bosses 2, I have decided to re-cast the sequel, filling in the character-types with new actors. If the actors/characters were new, I might understand more of a need for a sequel. It would be so much fun to see new characters attempting to kill their bosses. Don't get me wrong... I love the Horrible Bosses characters. They just need to be left alone!


Characters that should remain:

Character: Dean "MF" Jones
Actor Chosen: Jamie Foxx
Why?: Foxx's "MF" Jones was absolutely brilliant in the first film, and he could appear in absolutely anything, remaining hilarious. In fact, he is the glue that holds the entire concept together, which is why he could easily transfer that concept over to new boss-murderers.







Character: Atmanand
Actor Chosen: Brian George
Why?: Brian George's voice role, as the GPS navigation assistant (basically, he was an OnStar employee), was sort of dorky and awkward in Horrible Bosses. However, he would be another easy connection to the new boss-murderers, potentially discovering the similarity in the situations. I know this character is not of the utmost importance, but I think he could be fun!






Re-Call:
 
Character: Nick Hendricks
Actor in 1st Film: Jason Bateman
New Actor: Aubrey Plaza
Why?: Plaza has the same (but very different) dry humor of Jason Bateman, and, above all else, I could easily see her killing somebody's boss. Bateman's character is the unannounced leader in Horrible Bosses, and I could easily see Plaza filling that role. Plus, it would be fun to see how a woman might deal with this situation, considering that men are no longer kings of the workplace.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Character: Dale Arbus
Actor in 1st Film: Charlie Day
New Actor: Jay Baruchel
Why?: No one could play this role better than Charlie Day. No one! But, if we are looking at a different friend-group, we have to replace him, and I think Baruchel brings a very similar type of humor to the character as Day. In fact, I think his interaction with Aubrey Plaza would be even funnier than the interaction between Bateman and Day. They could even be potential love interests... or not...
 
 
 
 
 
Character: Kurt Buckman
Actor in 1st Film: Jason Sudeikis
New Actor: Ty Burrell
Why?: I had trouble with this character, mostly because Jason Sudeikis is so very bland and lifeless in every single thing that he does. So, how do you replicate (and even improve on) that blandness? Well, I went with Ty Burrell! Although he may be a good bit older than Baruchel and Plaza, I could see him being a goofy, awkward, protective figure who is entirely uncomfortable with the entire process of killing someone. This choice isn't necessarily a good substitution for Sudeikis or a good match with Baruchel and Plaza, but I just think he fits really well in this situation.
 
 
 
 
Character: Dave Harken
Actor in 1st Film: Kevin Spacey
New Actor: John C. McGinley
Why?: Because it would be fun to watch McGinley and Plaza bicker back and forth. He could also come on to her, in one way or another, substituting the sexually deviant Jennifer Aniston in the first film. 
 


 
 
Character: Dr. Julia Harris
Actor in 1st Film: Jennifer Aniston
New Actor: Michael Cera
Why?: Although the hilarity of Michael Cera as a bad guy may have been used in This Is the End, I think he could pull it off one more time. Put Jay Baruchel as a co-founder of some sort of app start-up or something Silicon Valley-ish, but, out of some legal mistakes, Cera owns 51% of the company, while Baruchel only owns 49%. Cera throws that in his face all of the time, which creates the grounds for his desire to kill him. I think it could work!

Character: Bobby Pellitt
Actor in 1st Film: Colin Farrell
New Actor: Woody Harrelson, Robert Downey Jr., Russell Brand, Sharlto Copley
Why?: Although Charlie Day is the funniest part of Horrible Bosses, Colin Farrell's Bobby Pellitt is undoubtedly the most genius character in the entire film. However, as I began to think of actors who could play a similar character, so many great choices came to mind, and I couldn't decide on just one. You can imagine, on your own, just how hilarious Harrelson, Downey, Brand, or Copley would be in this role. Let me know, in the comments, which you think would work best!
 
 
So, there you have it! My very own Horrible Bosses 2.
 
Let me know what you think about my choices, in the comment section, below.
 
Hopefully the actual Horrible Bosses 2 will exceed my expectations, and, maybe, it will not fall into the afterthought category, with its release date so close to that of Mockingjay Part 1.
 

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I, too, don't really see the need for a Horrible Bosses 2. I thought the first was okay, but I'm not exactly planning to go out of my way to see the second one or anything. These are some interesting casting choices, however. John C. McGinley especially, it's kind of a shame he doesn't get more work really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the first film, but my expectations for this one are expectedly low. McGinley is really hilarious! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Ha! Nice post. I loved the first one, but I haven't even seen a preview for the 2nd, so I don't know what to go by. I like the idea of losing Charlie Day though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe man! I loved Charlie Day in the first film. He is so funny. Thanks for reading!

      Delete