Friday, March 9, 2012

Project X


Expectations:
Let's just get down to it....... My expectations for Project X were simple....... Best comedy of 2012! You might ask, "Why, Tanner?" Well, let me tell you why. It's as simple as looking at the picture right above this post. There is hardly anything funnier than people who wander around and do foolish and morally unacceptable acts. Am I right, or am I right? The trailer was hilarious and, with Todd Phillips producing, I got really really excited about Project X. So, as is with all movies I look forward to this much, it was obvious that I was either going to be extremely disappointed (see Green Lantern) or extremely pleased (see Super 8). Let's see what the results were...

Plot:
Well, there was this big party........... AND that was about it. The main character, Thomas (played by Thomas Mann), was sort of caught up in a plan to have himself a huge 17th birthday party. Thomas's biggest problem was the fact that the party was actually the masterful work of his friend Costa, played by Oliver Cooper. The party commenced, as did the foolish and morally unacceptable acts. As you might expect, there were many dirty jokes and many naked girls. The problem was that the dirty jokes were not THAT funny, and the party itself (as shown by the naked girls) was extremely extreme. The truth is that none of this could ever happen at a high school party. What made The Hangover funny was the fact that these real people were in these real, hilarious circumstances. With Project X, the lack of reality greatly took away from the film's potential, which upset me.

Best Scene: When everything starts catching on fire!

Characters:
While the plot wasn't very good, the characters were fantastic. Thomas was sort of shy and unpopular, which made the extreme party even more unrealistic. JB, played by Jonathan Daniel Brown, was a hilarious addition, as this super-awkward chubby kid, who was even worse off than Thomas. Costa was this rebellious, rough kid who, for some odd reason, hung out with these other two losers. The three friends (Thomas, Costa, and JB) were all great in their own way. The problem was that there was no true connection as to why they were together, which made the plot even more unrealistic. They had so much potential, but they just never fully got to that point where you said, "WOW! They're funny!".

Best Character: Everett and Tyler, played by Brady Hender and Nick Nervies, were the easy choices for best character(s). They were the security team for the huge party. However, they were like 7th graders, and they took their job so seriously. They were absolutely hilarious!

Worst Character: Kirby, played by Kirby Bliss Blanton, was the easy choice for worst character. She was the awkward love interest of Thomas, and her presence just sort of disgusted me. I couldn't take their relationship-thing seriously.

Conclusion:
Unfortunately, Project X finds itself on the disappointing side of the spectrum. I will say, however, that it is nowhere close to as bad as Green Lantern! It really isn't that bad at all, if you are looking for an absolutely random, dirty comedy, which I'm sure many of you are. I just think it could have been so much more, and, as I have said before, I hate when a great idea is not executed properly (see Bad Teacher). Maybe I just built the movie up too much heading in, but who knows. I certainly wouldn't discourage you from watching, but don't expect to be blown away. I give Project X 2.79 out of 5 stars...

No comments:

Post a Comment