Sunday, September 25, 2011

Moneyball


Expectations:
While this may surprise you, I have read the Moneyball book that the film is based on. Actually, I don't want to lie. I read the first half of the book, found out they were making a movie, and then saw no point in finishing the book. Anyway, the book was interesting and had a business feel too it, so I figured I would love the movie. Also, just in case you don't know, I am a baseball fanatic, and my dream job is to be a general manager of a Major League Baseball team (that's what Brad Pitt plays). I have been waiting and waiting for this movie, and I was really hoping it would not let me down. A movie that combines numbers and baseball kinda makes me wanna pee my pants. In excitement that is.

Plot:
It is really hard to criticize a plot that is based on a true story. I mean, it's not like they could change it or anything. Nevertheless, there were a few things that I believe could have been changed to make the movie flow better. Throughout the first half of the film, Billy Beane (Brad Pitt) is flashing back to his past every little while, and it really helps to show why he is so passionate about his job. I just wish they could have organized that better to where the outcome of that flashback is sort of surprising and is revealed throughout the entire movie. Also, I don't think they did a good job of embracing Beane's personal life. They did include his daughter in the film, but it didn't really fit in with the story. Overall, the story is very good and interesting. There were a few dull moments, but I never felt like they were wasting time.

Best Scene (This is new!): The final few minutes of Moneyball were really the best, in my opinion. There was one point where I thought that they should have stopped, but then I was surprised. The final scene really shows how life is full of choices, and it is hardly ever easy to chose.
Characters:
While I'm not a huge fan of Brad Pitt's movies, he is a fairly good actor and did a fine job portraying Billy Beane. His character was very easy-going at one moment and throwing things the next. He was certainly convincing at all times. The thing that really amazed me was how well he and Jonah Hill accented each other. They were funny and believable and just downright good. As I said earlier, Beane's daughter Casey (Kerris Dorsey) had an awkward role at times. I just think it could have been done better. The role of Art Howe as manager was necessary, but Phillip Seymour Hoffman didn't do as well as you would expect from such a great actor. His body language just didn't seem to fit his hard-headed role. David Justice (Stephen Bishop) was a character that was very important in showing how Billy Beane really was doing things different. I thought he had the most well used storyline in the film.

Best Character: I never thought I would say this, but Jonah Hill was very good in a dramatic role. He played Peter Brand, who really was the brains behind Beane and his crazy ways. Hill was still funny at times, but he was very convincing and, as I said, really accented Pitt's character.

Worst Character: Chad Bradford, played by Casey Bond, was one of the players that had a major role in the film. Unfortunately, he really had no storyline at all. He was the only character that I felt was unnecessary.

Conclusion:
Moneyball is a great sports story, and it is very different from most sports stories. The numbers and the game are married in a most splendiferous kind of way, but I avoided peeing my pants. Because it is so different, I'm just glad that this story got told, and that I didn't have to finish reading the book. I can only dream of one day becoming as influential as Billy Beane has been to the game of baseball. Hopefully any kids that watch this film will realize that they are not restricted in the sports world if they lack athleticism. I could probably go on forever talking about my love for the game, but I will shut up. I give Moneyball 3.76 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment