Sunday, August 11, 2013

2 Guns

 


Instead of writing a typical review for 2 Guns, I have decided to share a funny story with you. Hope you enjoy:

When I was in the 9th grade, some 7 or 8 years ago, my mother made the decision to disturb my high school social climb by not allowing me to go a movie at a theater across town. You see, at the time, I was 15 years young, and, like most good mothers would have been, mine was frightened at the idea of me riding on the busy highways of South Mississippi in the car of a 16 year old girl who I had not been friends with for more than 6 months or so (and we really were just friends) (and my mother knew that) (and she didn't care). Because there was a theater at the local mall (where we happened to be), my mother did not understand why we would want to go across town (2 miles max) to the brand spanking new theater and meet up with other friends. Unfortunately for me, I was left behind by said 16 year old girl, because she was going to the good theater across town, and I cannot blame her at all. Not long before this happening, my mother had expressed to me her strong desire to see the Christian film Facing the Giants, a movie that became quite a hit down here in the Bible belt. After being deserted, thanks to my mother's issues with my own responsibility (and the fact that I was 15), I retaliated against my mother by marching into the crappy mall theater and watching Facing the Giants all by myself. Did I want to see the movie?... No. Did I enjoy the movie?... No. But, when she and my father came to pick me up from the mall, I felt as if I had just sneaked the sneakiest of all sneaky paybacks ever sneaked in the history of sneaking.

This week, for the first time since that sneaky night, in which I did exactly as instructed by my mother, I, Tanner Jones, went to a movie all by myself! That's right, as many times as I have looked at that big screen over the last 7 or 8 years, never once have I done it without someone by my side. When I got to thinking about that, it made me realize how many times I have had to drag folks to the theater, just so I would not become lonely. Maybe I only did it so that I would not have to relive that horrible experience from my otherwise satisfying youth. Who knows? But, looking back, I figured it was time to put that horrifying night behind me and move forward with my movie-going life. Since that night, many things have happened. The theater in the mall has closed down, leaving only one option for Hattiesburg moviegoers. My mother now allows me to ride (and even drive) wherever I so choose, mostly because I don't live at home anymore and I'm 21. And, most importantly, that 16 year old girl, with whom my mother did not previously trust my well-being, is now my fiancé! That's right, the moral of this story is that, if you stick one to your mom, you might find your future spouse! or something like that. To the two women with the lead roles in my life, this one's for you.

As for the movie, it wasn't all that bad. Because I really had no clue what the movie was about, I was quite surprised with the results. The characters were quite typical for any action duo, but Denzel Washington just makes acting look so easy that I was still mesmerized by his simple character. Bill Paxton stole the show, in my opinion, with his ridiculous Texas accent and toughness that was a good bit unnerving. If you want some cheap laughs and unsatisfying action, 2 Guns would probably wildly exceed your expectations. The story, which revolved around one "Gun" needing the other, was quite fitting for my loner situation. That's the main reason I couldn't give up telling my story. Sorry I didn't offer up much about the film, but I thought you might enjoy something a bit different! I give 2 Guns 2.88 out of 5 stars.

6 comments:

  1. lol. The plot is kind of messy but I was entertained for most parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this one was enjoyable, but I don't blame you for not talking too much about it, as there really isn't much else to say than that. Besides, I also found your story pretty enjoyable, too! Good stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story! Movie's plot was silly and overly complicated but the actors and characters made it so much fun!

    ReplyDelete